Thursday, January 05, 2006

Galloway's Big Brother

So, in literally the most jawdropping thing I've seen for ages, George Galloway just walked into the Celebrity Big Brother house. Apparently:
  • "It's a chance to show a large and different audience what I'm really like, to get away from constant telephone and email traffic, and for the chance to make new and unexpected friends."
There used to be a time when I felt I had to apologise for Galloway. I'm sick of it, and since I'm anticipating a lot of press attacks on him, I think I'll offer some defenses.

Galloway took a principled stand against the war. He wasn't the only Labour MP to do so, but he did so most vociferously, and made the extremely bold move of calling for troops to refuse to fight. It was this that was the given reason for his expulsion from the Labour Party. He had until then been a tireless campaigner for the Iraqi people's rights, against a murderous sanctions regime and against Saddam's tyranny. He has since helped to win the most impressive victory for the left in this country for decades. He is genuinely committed to the Respect project, and has helped it achieve so much.

More to follow, by which time I'll be back in Cambridge...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home