Sunday, February 05, 2006

A week in the life of an activist...

In the past week I have 1) Voted to no confidence the CUSU President. 2) Passed radical policy to go to NUS that I never thought would pass in a million years. 3) Written an essay on non-Classical Logic. 4) Attended a vigil to mark the death of the 100th British soldier, also remembering all of the victims of the war. 5) Given out 400 leaflets in one morning for said vigil. 6) Produced a Cambridge Respect newsletter type thing. 7) Given 150 or so copies out of it after the Union debate with George Galloway and Tony Benn. 8) Had a brief conversation with Galloway, without actually hearing him speak. 9) Shaken a holocaust survivor's hand, and sorted out a room and Overhead Projector for him to use (this proved the hardest of all, believe it or not), and again not actually hear his speech in the end. 10) Gone to London and back in a day for the SWP New Member's School.

This has, admittedly, been probably my busiest week in Cambridge. The 100th British soldier dying in the same week as the no-confidence motion being brought and Galloway speaking at the Union made it hardly an average week. What I realised was that I was missing all the interesting stuff that I was actually arranging. I especially regret not hearing the holocaust survivor speak, since it was apparently an extraordinary experience. Still, I wouldn't have done any of it differently.

Hopefully I'll soon give my account of what little of the Union debate I was able to hear, since it threw up a lot of important questions, none of which got resolved.

2 Comments:

At 4:02 pm, Blogger Rosa Lichtenstein said...

Dan, nice blog!

Check out the comments I have left here:

http://oppositeofapathy.blogspot.com/2006/01/in-which-i-remember-im-philosophy.html

Rosa L

 
At 11:58 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you!!!
[URL=http://superjonn.50webs.com/butter-restaurant-week-2010.html]butter restaurant week 2010[/URL]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home